Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) is a cutting-edge simulation tool to maximise efficiency in design and operation in naval architecture, offshore engineering and in the renewable energy sector. CFD provides a detailed insight into flow properties to a high degree of accuracy, either as a standalone tool or complimentary to physical model testing.
CFD can provide detailed information on:
- Accurate and detailed simulation of flow around maritime structures, such as boats, ships and offshore structures including renewable energy devices
- Performance evaluation from small appliances to full-scale system including scaling effects
- Hydrodynamic studies in collaboration with experimental facilities (Towing Tank, Model Test Basin)
- Forces and moments of ship-ship interaction
- High-fidelity analysis using Large Eddy Simulation (LES) for small-scale flows such as spray patters around periscopes
- State-of-the-art numerical tools: ANSYS CFX and FLUENT, OpenFOAM, and STAR-CCM+ on a high performance cluster