Designated Security Duties
The course is designed for every seafarer who is designated to perform security duties, including anti-piracy and anti-armed-robbery-related activities.
To meet industry demand for this endorsement, AMC have developed Designated Security Duties (DSD) as an online course.
The course is approved by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) as meeting the requirements of STCW Reg VI/6 and Code Section A-VI/6 paragraph 8, Table A-VI/6-2.
Upon successful completion of the online course, an AMSA approved certificate will be issued, which will allow candidates to obtain an endorsement from AMSA.
Online Course Registration
To register for the course, please complete registration details form in the link below. After submitting the form, payment options will be provided.
Payment of course fees, or authorisation to invoice from your company is required before your online account is created. The online account creation process takes between 3-4 business days.
The DSD is a portable course and can also be delivered on client premises as face to face training. To arrange, please email a request to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Online (approximately 10 hours)
Classroom: 1.5 days
Online: AUD $565 (GST not applicable)
Onsite: By quotation
To equip trainees with the tools and skills to demonstrate competence to undertake the tasks, duties and responsibilities as listed in:
Table A-VI/6-2 of the STCW Code, as amended:
- Maintain the conditions set out in a ship security plan
- Recognition of security risks and threats
- Undertake regular security inspections of the ship
- Proper usage of security equipment and systems, if any
The online layout and requirements of the Designated Security Duties is described below:
- Four (4) Learning resource sections (Section 1, 2, 3, & 4)
- Four (4) Progress checks (Progress Check 1, 2, 3 & 4)
- One (1) Final Assessment
To satisfactorily fulfil the course requirements, candidates will need to undertake the following in the order shown below and attain the required results:
- Read through Section 1 that covers the requirements to maintain the conditions set out in a ship security plan.
- Complete Progress Check 1 (pass ≥70%).
- Read through Section 2 that covers the recognition of security risks and threats.
- Complete Progress Check 2 (pass ≥70%).
- Read through Section 3 that covers the undertaking of regular security inspections of the ship.
- Complete Progress Check 3 (pass ≥70%).
- Read through Section 4 that covers the proper usage of security equipment and systems, if any.
- Complete Progress Check 4 (pass ≥70%).
- Complete Final Assessment (pass ≥70%).
The following certificates will be issued by AMC to participants who successfully complete the course:
- Designated Security Duties (AMSA approved), meeting the requirements of STCW Reg VI/6 and Code Section A-VI/6 paragraph 8, Table A-VI/6-2
Full attendance and participation in ALL activities during the course will satisfy the required performance criteria.
To secure a course registration, payment of the course fee are required (or at minimum of 50% deposit). Payment methods accepted:
- Credit Card (online or via (03) 6324-9850)
- Bank Deposit
- Cheque/Money Order
- Company Invoice (approved companies only)
Detailed payment options will be made available after registration is submitted.